7.11.2012

Tick, Tock


I hate moving.

We might move...again. But these are just thoughts. There's absolutely NOTHING concrete about this. Don't tell the husband that I told you. It will be our little secret.

Sometimes I need a pro/con list to make decisions. This is one of those times where a pro/con list is just too long to even bother making. But one major con about moving is the fact that you always spend money on new decorations or furniture. There's always a new space, a new angle, or a new idea that you have to accommodate in a new home.

When Jon and I made our last move, I had a lot of these new spaces. The layout was completely different and nothing we had seemed to work like it did in the old place. This forced me to get creative and reinvent our already purchased goods. Our clock was one of them.

Our clock was a fairly cheap clock off of Amazon.com and it was really only meant to be "hung" once due to its sticky adhesive backing. Did I let that stop me? Heck no! There was no way I was buying a new clock even though we had to pull and scrape it off of our old wall.

The clock had separate numbers and hash marks (all adhesively stuck on the wall) and then the center piece included the battery operated hands. The center was the easy part but without the numbers or hashes, the hands just floated in space. I decided I could do without the hash marks, but I definitely needed the numbers (3, 6, 9 and 12). 

Here's my "tutorial" on how I reinvented our clock:

Step 1: Attempt to remove as much old paint and dry wall from back of numbers as possible
Step 2: Without the hash marks, the numbers needed a little extra pop! Wrap the letters in wire, yarn, thread, ribbon, etc. 
Step 3: Apply a better, more flexible version of adhesive backing that won't peel off the paint of our new wall
Step 4: Measure (as accurately as possible) where to place the numbers
Step 5: Hang center piece and adjust hands to show appropriate time

And voila! An old, torn up clock becomes a new clock. I wonder if it can handle another move though... but until then, check out my current clock:


This looks more red in the picture but it's more of a fuchsia type color.



The background is silver so it's a little hard to see the wire, but it adds a little texture. Next time I might go with some thicker wire.



Do you have any thrifty reinventions? Tell me about them!

-ariel

No comments: