10.28.2012

avocado chicken egg salad



For some reason, a turkey sandwich makes me want to puke. I don’t know when I got so tired of them. I wasn’t even a sack lunch kid. It’s funny because you always envy what you don’t have. I envied my classmates and friends that had homemade lunches. And they probably envied me – they probably thought I was the rich kid that bought lunch every day. The reality though is that my parents just didn’t really do sack lunches. I guess it was easier for them to reload the lunch card than creatively make and pack a lunch.

I get it now. I don’t even like having to pack my own lunch.

But I do because I just don’t understand how someone spends [on average] $7-$9 for lunch everyday.

Leftovers use to be my “go-to” lunch but that was back when I was making dinner most nights and had a microwave at work to reheat it. My days don’t look like that anymore. I rarely have time to make dinner on any night of the week, let alone most nights. This results in minimal leftovers. Not to mention my school campus lacks a microwave. Hence, the turkey sandwich dilemma!

To avoid the turkey sandwich, I desperately search around for other types of cold sandwiches, wraps, salads, etc. The husband and I have established quite a repertoire, but my taste buds can’t handle too much repetition. I needed something new so here’s the arrival of the Avocado Chicken Egg Salad. It’s delightfully good! If you need a new lunch idea, try this!

RECIPE:

Ingredients

  • 1 avocado, chopped (almost mashed)
  • 5 hard boiled eggs, chopped (I used mostly only the whites)
  • 2 tsp. coarse ground dijon mustard
  • 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp. dill weed
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • dash of pepper
  • 1/4 tsp. parsley
  • 1 Tbsp. greek nonfat yogurt
  • 1 can white chicken
  • 1 stalk celery, chopped thinly
  • sun-dried tomato wraps, bread, or bowl - up to you!
Combine all ingredients and enjoy! This recipe probably provided 4 sandwiches worth for the husband and me so feel free to double or halve as necessary.




1 comment:

Erika @ rouge + whimsy said...

i hate hate making my lunch but totally with ya on not buying. I made something pretty similar to this-- super good in a wrap!