7.25.2012

chicken, apple, and gouda salad


I thought my blog would be mostly about food. Somehow it has no food appearances yet! I have no idea how that happened. 

It's kind of like when you have your mind set on buying a new pair of shoes - you've looked for days on the internet comparing prices, styles, brands, etc and then you finally have a day off of work and you set out to the mall to buy your shoes...

But then you don't buy any shoes at all. 

Instead, you bought a purse.

You might love the purse and it may have quenched your desire to have something new, but it still wasn't what you intended to buy. 

Well, that's my blog. Kind of. I don't know if that makes sense but my blog was supposed to be about food and it's not. It's been about life, adventures, crafty projects, being thrifty and the like. I still love talking about those things, but it wasn't what I intended to talk about.

I figure it's about time for me to talk about my true love - FOOD! 

Quick confession: I didn't really know how to cook until I got married. I didn't care about food that much or even eating healthy. Now, I care a lot about those things. Oh, how my life has changed (for the better, might I add!). 

I'll stop rambling, it's time to get to the food. The important stuff. The worthwhile stuff. The stuff that makes my heart happy. Oh, food, how I love you!

I made a modified version of this salad


Here's what my salad had:

2 gala apples (thinly sliced)
1 white nectarine (thinly sliced)
4-5 chicken tenders (shredded)
1 package of spinach and spring greens mix
1 cup celery (chopped)
1/2 of red onion (thinly diced)
1 1/2 cups shredded gouda cheese
1 cup craisins
1/2 cup sliced almonds

Honey-Mustard Dressing:
1/2 cup greek non-fat yogurt
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp dried basil (I was out of fresh basil, but I'd prefer 1/4 cup of fresh basil)
1/4 cup yellow mustard
1/4 cup dijon mustard
3 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp sugar
dash of red pepper flakes
dash of salt

It was quite delicious. I love salads in the summer. Actually, I love salads all year round but I especially love them in the summer.

The husband and I aren't really huge eaters so this was a perfect dinner salad for us. But I'm sure it would be great as a side salad too! Modify yours to the way you like and enjoy!

No comments: