7.13.2012

Not a picture in a frame?


Frames are incredibly versatile. They are used for much more than just pictures. I used empty frames as centerpieces at my wedding. Frames of all shapes, sizes, and colors are above my fireplace mantle.  I've seen frames used as jewelry organization. The possibilities are endless. But I'm a sucker for a new frame idea and this one was just up my alley!

My ideas are not always original, in fact, most of my creativity is borrowed from others' ability to be creative. This is a case and point scenario. Please don't judge me. 

Warning: this is a very tardy post - it is no longer anywhere near Mother's Day, but yes, that is what I will be talking about. Again, please don't judge me.

Here's the scene: mother's day is quickly approaching and I have no clue what to buy/make for my mom or my mother-in-law. See, the tricky thing is that my mom doesn't really fit the mold for the typical, cliche mother's day gift ideas. My mom does not bake, cook, sew, craft, garden, etc. There's nothing wrong with this and in fact, I'm very use to our differences in this way. I like that my mom is unique but sometimes it makes things tough when I approach these "hallmark holidays". The few "cliche" things my mom likes are wine and jewelry. I've used the wine idea probably 9 out of the last 10 gifts and she likes expensive, real jewelry which does not agree with my budget. Hence, my dilemma. 

Here's the solution: my mom is a sucker for anything that has to do with her children. So, instead of playing off of her material interests, I played off the sentimental note. I bought a nice frame and inside is a piece of paper listing the most important dates of her life. My mom's framed art included the date her and my dad met, the date they got married, and then the birth dates of each of her three kids. 

My mom's reaction: tears, gratitude, and shock that it wasn't a picture in the frame. Apparently, she's still learning the versatility of the frame!

I adapted this frame idea for a number of gifts. I made one for my mom and one for my mother-in-law. I also made one for two close friends, one for a birthday gift and another for an anniversary gift. Lastly, I made one for myself! :) I know, it's like going out Christmas shopping and you come back with nothing but something for yourself. Shame on me but I couldn't help it!

Feel free to try making your own. If kids aren't in the picture yet, here are some ideas for important dates: first met, first kiss, first date, first time saying "I love you", proposal, and wedding date. And maybe you have a special date of your own, if so, include it! The more personal it is, the better!

Note: be sure to do appropriate research to make sure all of your dates are accurate. I must admit that the below photos include an inaccurate date for the husband and me (and no, it's not our wedding date). Oops! 


*Please ignore the dust on our dresser and the ugly lamp pole*

No comments: