5.08.2013

the in-laws came for a visit




Why is it that whenever you announce the word "in-laws" people immediately grimace, cringe, and comment? There's such a negative connotation around the idea of in-laws. Even if you think your own parents are great, once they become in-laws, there is apparently something wrong with them. It's a weird concept and I don't really understand it -- maybe because I'm one of the lucky few who has been blessed with some pretty great in-laws.

My in-laws are laid-back, happy-go-lucky people. They are easy to be around and they bring such joy to both my life and the husband's. We've basically been begging them to come for a visit (well, really, we've basically been begging both of our parents and our friends to visit). Either way, we were beyond thrilled to finally have them back out to Colorado.

Colorado has been overly snowy and blistery of late (despite the fact that it's spring) but our little weekend was full of warm sunshine just to greet our guests. The combination of having visitors and seeing my oh so beloved sunshine again, made me one giddy girl. I love exploring this great state and having visitors gives me the perfect excuse to do so.

Our weekend was the perfect amount of go-go-go and relaxing. As soon as the in-laws arrived, we wanted to get things started off right so we took them to a great patio happy hour spot in Denver, called Root Down. I highly recommend it! The next day was our adventure day -- a trip down south to Colorado Springs with a slight detour to gawk at the husband's cadaver that he's been so meticulously working on. While in the Springs, we wondered around the Air Force Academy, Garden of the Gods, and Old Colorado City. After a full day of driving and sunshine, we had a laid-back night of tacos and card games. Oh and of course, an inaugural trip to Yogurtland for the in-laws!

Sunday consisted of some of our "must-go-to" spots for our out of town guests -- Snooze for breakfast and Wash Park for fun. Since it was the first nice weekend in what felt like ages, the park was a zoo of volleyball nets, dogs, exercisers, and so on. We happily contributed to the masses and enjoyed our little spot of grass. Sadly though, the trees have no leaves since the snow keeps preventing them from blooming, hence, no shade to hide from the first intense heat of the year. Bring on the tan sunburn!

The in-laws last day in town was a little more low-key. The husband had to start his Orthopedic rotation in Denver and I had to study. But my attention span for studying when I have visitors is quite small, so a detour to go shopping with my mother-in-law was a must! She treated me to quite the shopping spree as a sweet early birthday present. I absolutely loved the gesture and of course, adored the added pieces to my wardrobe!

Overall, the weekend was quite a treat and the husband and I feel so blessed to have had such a wonderful weekend.

Here are some visual representations of the weekend:














Thank you Jim & Dana, for everything!!!

3 comments:

Erika @ rouge + whimsy said...

I hope you get more sunshine soon! It's weird that Seattle is warmer than so many other places now.

Also, that first photo of you is stunning <3

Anonymous said...

Love that first photo! And love reading your blog, cohesive or not.

Kristen said...

I feel the same way about my in-laws. They're great people, and I wish they'd visit a tad more.

I love seeing your CO pictures! We are mostly hoping to get stationed there next. I guess I'll have to wait until next year to find out.